The cost of living is skyrocketing out of control and more South Australians are struggling to make ends meet than ever before.
Inflation is seeing record price hikes on food, fuel, housing and other essentials.
The Greens are calling on the State Government to ease cost of living pressures by investing in public services and:
- make public transport free
- introduce rent caps and rent subsidies
- increase the wages of public sector workers
- scrap public school fees
- boost SA’s investment in public housing
- establish a commission of inquiry into reviving ETSA and returning power to public hands
These measures could be funded by ensuring that mining corporations, big banks and developers finally pay their fair share of tax.
The Greens have estimated that the State Government could generate $7 billion worth of revenue by:
- charging a levy on big banks
- increasing mining royalties
- taxing developers on the profits made from re-zoning
I’ve moved a motion calling for the Government to take urgent action. Watch here.
This year, the Greens made a submission to the State Government calling for a range of measures to tackle the cost-of-living crisis and provide relief to South Australians who are struggling. You can read the submission here.