South Australia’s rental market is in dire need of repair, and the government has been ignoring the maintenance reports. The economic upheavals of the pandemic have only further skewed a system that already has South Australian renters among the least-protected in the country.
The Greens recently secured an important win for renters by extending the moratorium on evictions from June to September — but this isn’t the end.
We’re campaigning to:
- End no fault evictions
- Introduce rent capping to protect vulnerable people from unfair rent hikes
- Give renters security and stability through long-term tenancies
- Establish a government-funded tenant’s union to ensure renters have access to independent advocacy
- Make pet-friendly properties the norm, instead of the exception
- Stamp out underhand rental bidding that force rents up and up